Friday 18 May 2007

C-A-N-C-E-L-L-E-D

Just 9 letters, 2 C's, 2 E's, 2 L's...apparently a harmless word, but...do never ever underestimate the power of a simple word! I would say that the word above, which I hardly dare to write anymore, is beginning to sound as if everyone had put a curse on me everytime I read it. The worst situation comes when this word appears in the little screen of your mobile phone...that little gadget that has sometimes brought you so much joy and put a smile on your face when it displays a message from a friend. However, if the text contains this one word...a tantrum of historical proportions or a depression that may last for a few days is likely to strike you.

Last Tuesday I worked hard until 8:30 pm, after which I was planning to pick up my bag, switch on my i-Pod at full volume and go home listening to Elton, slowly getting into the mood for the wonderful weekend that was soon to come.

When I suddenly heard my cell phone ring announcing a text message I wasn't prepared for what was coming...I read it, I read it again...was I dreaming? Sure, I would wake up any second, right? ...Wrong! A few more seconds went by and the text was still there....Vitoria has been cancelled, it read!

I considered throwing away this awful little cell phone of mine, but I realised the concert would still be cancelled...and I'd end up buying a new one that might end up receiving messages with another cursed word of mine....POSTPONED!

No comments: